My kids love porridge. They often request it, but they know they have to request it at least the night before.
Because I soak it for 12 hours first! Soaking makes it easier to digest, and with naturally fermented probiotics too.
Sometimes I double the recipe thinking it will last two days, but instead the kids insist on having it as part of their dinner, like tonight!
Photo: oatmeal soaking the night before with some whey
- 3 Cups gluten free oats (rolled, not instant)
- 3 1/2 Cups of warm water
- 1/4 Cup of whey or water kefir* (or you can use 2 T of milk kefir)
- 1 finely grated apple (for natural sweetness)
- 2 Tablespoons of cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon of vanilla (either extract or powder)
- Mix together in a large glass bowl.
- Leave in a warm place (on top of the fridge for me!)
* water kefir to make it vegan
- Add more warm or cold water** if you need to, and mix well
- Serve! No
No need to warm it or cook it - this way the probiotic goodness remains beneficial for your body!
** You could add milk or yogurt instead of water - milk kefir, almond milk, coconut yogurt, etc...
My kids like to eat it with a huge dollop of yogurt (coconut yogurt to make it vegan).
Depending on your taste, you can add raisins to make it sweeter, or more apple, or other natural sweetener of your choice. You can also add more fruit or nuts - it's a nice base to customize as you desire.
You can also try it with other grains, but my kids are oatmeal fanatics at the moment so I am sticking with what they eat!