I love wraps. Yes, I could just eat my salad with a fork, or just put my avocado and homemade probiotic rich kraut on a cracker... but there is something really satisfying about picking up a wrap with my fingers and biting into it.
When I made this recipe, I made it two ways - as a thin wrap and as 'bread'. After taste testing with a few friends, the wrap was the winner. You can see the bread in the photos below for comparison.
These are super easy to make, and come out really great.
The recipe is flexible, so you can play with the ingredients and flavors - add carrots in place of some zucchini, use more onion, add a clove of garlic, have fun trying some different ideas!
- 1 Cup ground chia or flax seeds seeds
- 4 Tablespoons ground milk thistle or flax seeds or other seeds if you don't have these
- 4 zucchinis (medium size)
- 1 small onion or 1/2 a large onion (would be awesome with Vidalia or Walla Walla Onions!)
- 1/4 Cup tomatoes (I used cherry tomatoes, you can use whatever you have in season)
- 1/4 Cup nuts or seeds** (macadamia, cashew, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seed or other)
- Herbs and spices to flavor - I used pink Himalayan salt, sesame seeds and ground up seaweed
- Grind the chia seeds and milk thistle and set to the side
- In a food processor either grate or pulse the zucchinis, onion and tomatoes
- Once grated add the nuts or seeds and pulse some more
- Add the flavors you want - go light as the flavor will intensify as the wraps dehydrates
- Now mix everything together in a large bowl - use your hands if you want!
- Spread 1/4 inch or thinner on your dehydrator non-stick sheets
- Dry at 115 Degrees F / 46 Degrees C
- After 6-8 or so hours, see if it is dry enough to flip over onto the mesh sheets
- Let dry for another 4-6 hours until it is dry, but still flexible
- If you want harder crackers, let it dry for a longer period of time
Store in a sealed glass or plastic container in the fridge - will last 1-2 weeks.
** Soak your nuts and seeds for 4-12 hours before using them
Essential Living Food Raw Chia Bread