Macaroons are sentimental for me, they remind me of Passover, of containers of Manischewitz Coconut and Chocolate Macaroons. The taste and texture is a taste of childhood and stealing a macaroon as a treat for myself. Macaroons are not super sweet, and totally hit the spot for me as a child. Just one fills me up.
Recently, I had a store bought raw, vegan, gluten free macaroon, and I really wanted to create a recipe at home that was less sweet and even more healthy. I am quite pleased with the results!
The main difference, is I use vanilla powder instead of vanilla extract with alcohol, and carob pod concentrate instead of other sweeteners. Carob is high in antioxidants and this is a very unique product that I am enjoying playing with in the kitchen.
- 1 1/3 Cups of unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 Cup of almond flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons of raw cacao powder (more for more chocolatey taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla powder (I love this!) or vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon of pink Himalayan salt
- 2 Tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1/2 Tablespoon of carob pod concentrate (can use maple syrup instead)
- Mix dry ingredients in a food processor
- Add wet ingredients - the carob pod concentrate and coconut oil
- Add more coconut oil if needed, but no more than an extra Tablespoon
- Blend until well mixed and it starts to clump together - you may need to stop one or two times and wipe down the sides of your food processor to get everything back together
- Taste! See if you want to add more raw cacao powder or adjust any of the flavor
- Schmoosh into shape as in the photo, they don't roll
- Freeze on a plate overnight, then you can store in the fridge in an air tight container