Lemon is the flavor of the season for me - Lately, I am all about my preserved lemons, lemon kefir water and lemon chocolate!
Making raw chocolate is easy and fun. I make coconut oil chocolate, chocolate with cacao butter and chocolate with cacao paste.
This recipe uses both coconut oil and cacao butter. Which give the health benefits of the coconut oil, with texture and flavor from the cacao butter too. There is a minimal amount of raw cacao powder. The result is a very smooth texture and a subtle flavor - enhanced with lemon oil.
They look so very pretty 'two toned' - with the sweetener and cacao settling on the bottom and the lighter coconut oil on the top.
It's a gentle flavor, and absolutely tastes best straight from the freezer. The thin 'coin' shaped ones are a perfectly cold, crisp, refreshing raw chocolate.
- 1/2 cup of raw cacao butter
- 1 cup of coconut oil
- 4 Tablespoons of raw cacao powder (you can add more if you prefer)
- 2-3 Tablespoons of coconut nectar, maple syrup or sweetener of your choice (add to taste)
- 10 drops of lemon oil (food grade)
- Gently melt the cacao butter and coconut oil in a large glass measuring cup with a spout (I do this in my dehydrator at 115 degrees F, you can also use a double boiler or over low heat in the oven or stove)
- Add the cacao powder, mix well with a fork or whisk (add more if you want it more chocolatey)
- Add the coconut nectar to taste - start with a bit, mix it, taste it, add more until you get the right sweetness for you
- Mix well
- Add 5-10 drops of lemon oil - again, add 5 first, taste, and add more if you want.
- Alternatively you could add peppermint or your favorite flavors
- Mix well
Option: You can also opt to put all the ingredients in a blender and whip it up that way - this does result in an even smoother final product, and I recommend doing this if you use a granular sugar or want less of a two toned result.
- Pour into chocolate or silicon molds, or on a large piece of parchment paper
- Put in the freezer overnight, until they are totally solid
- Pop them out of the molds, or break up the chocolate on the parchment paper and store in the freezer as a special treat
Please note, these will melt at room temperature due to the high amount of healthy coconut oil, they store best in the freezer.
Healthy Chocolate or Carob Bark
50 Wicked Bites - Raw Chocolate