This is a simple and delicious sauerkraut, with lots of flavor that tends to ferment very quickly. You can make this with or without the chili, it is very flavorful due to the garlic, coriander and spring onion.
Variation: the last four ingredients you can use more or less depending upon your preference
- Set one large cabbage leaf aside to use later
- Grate the remaining cabbage and carrots
- Weight the grated cabbage and carrots
- Add 2% of the total weight in Celtic sea salt or Himalayan pink salt
- Massage/pound/squeeze until enough liquid comes out to cover the vegetable mixture
- Add the following to taste (more or less of each per your preference) 1 teaspoon of minced garlic, 2 whole chilies with the tops cut off, 1/4 cup of minced coriander, 1/4 cup of minced spring onion and mix well
- Transfer to your fermenting jar
- Press the mixture down until the liquid covers it
- Cover with the large cabbage leaf, and press down again
- Put a weight on top (anything to keep the vegetables and cabbage leaf under the liquid)
- Cover and let sit for 4-7 days, taste, when done store in a glass jar in the fridge.
- Due to variations in weather and personal taste, you may decide to ferment this for more or less time, that is perfectly fine!
- It will last in the fridge for a year, with the flavor slowly developing.