As a family, we are not milk drinkers. My kids have organic cows milk or homemade yogurt with their cereal in the morning, and that's it. We do like cheese, both dairy and nut cheese, lately I'm addicted to both cashew cheese and goats cheese - yum!
I sometimes use almond milk when I cook, but again, not a lot, usually just buying the sugar free most natural one I could find. Made it once or twice, but never really got into it... just not a milk drinker.
The other day, I decide to make hemp milk:
- Super Easy - just whizz in the blender for 1 - 1 1/2 minutes
- Flexible - can flavor as you wish
- Yummy - as a dessert or with breakfast or for a snack
- 1 Cup hemp seeds
- 3 Cups of water
- 1 Date (none for sugar free, up to 3 for sweeter)
- 1 Tablespoon of coconut butter/manna
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla seeds (I love this!)
- 1 teaspoon of raw cacao powder
- A dash of pink Himalayan salt
Add all ingredients to a blender (I use a Vitamix, but ANY blender will work)
Blend 1-2 minutes until smooth
Taste with a straw to see if you want to adjust the flavor
Put in a jar in the fridge, will last 2 days
Optionally, you can strain out the 'gritty bits' but I like keeping them in and stirring it before drinking. If you do opt to strain (use a 'Chinese soup' bag, muslin, cheese cloth or nut bag), use the 'gritty bits' to make raw crackers, raw balls or when baking.
Now, hemp and water on their own, are really quite bland - so you can flavor this however you like - I did the above which was very mild, but could easily go for pumpkin spice for something seasonal or more cacao for a chocolatey treat!
Let me know how it goes and your favorite flavor combination.